We all deal with stress in one way or another…ok who am I kidding usually in multiple ways. The demands of life can be very cumbersome and overwhelming at times so how do we deal with the stresses of everyday life? What can we do on an everyday basis that will help reduce stress and help us to achieve a balance daily?
Here are 7 things you can do everyday to reduce stress:
1. Meditate. The health benefits of meditation are many. According to an article published by the Huffington Post, meditation not only reduces stress, it also improves concentration, encourages a healthy lifestyle with making better food choices, increases self-awareness, increases happiness and improves cardiovascular health and immune health.
2. Keep a journal. Writing in a journal in the morning can help you stay focused on the tasks of the day and also help you prioritize what needs to be done in what order.
Alternatively, writing in a journal at night can help you summarize your day and focus on the things you are grateful for that day and realize the issues that you may need help with.
If you had a bad day, it is a way to get your emotions out on paper sometimes offering a new perspective on how you can deal with what is going on.
Journal writing can be very therapeutic. It is helpful for emotional health and can also be helpful in organizing your thoughts.
3. Exercise. You knew I was gonna go there. Exercise is so beneficial for relieving stress. Exercise releases endorphins or “happy hormones” which generally make you in a better mood. Getting your heart rate up is good for your health and for your stress levels. Boom.
4. Keep a schedule. Yes, this can reduce stress levels and it also helps you establish a balance of all you need to get done. Keeping some sort of schedule helps you not only be more productive, but it also helps in keeping the stress levels at bay because you always know what you are doing next. Getting rid of the element of surprise can drastically reduce stress.
Creating a schedule you can live with can be a challenge in itself, but once you have created one that works for you and your family, you will likely notice that you feel you can accomplish much more and feel more at ease. Schedule as many activities as you can.
For example, schedule exercise into your calendar, schedule meditation, schedule work, schedule family time, schedule your kids sports activities. The more you have on your schedule, the better. You will always know what is next.
5. Pray. Yep. You probably saw that one coming too. Prayer is another one of those things that above all else can be extremely helpful in reducing or eliminating stress. God can handle way more than we can. Let Him take your stress away when you can’t handle it. Consistently pray.
You may find that prayer and meditation go hand in hand. The silence of meditation and praying can be very powerful tools against stress.
6. Laugh. Talk to someone who makes you laugh. Talk to friend. Read a funny book or article. Laughter can ease the seriousness of the situation you are dealing with. It may be helpful to just get your mind off of what you are dealing with also.
7. Read. Reading gives you the opportunity to delve into another world temporarily. It doesn’t matter what you read if you know that reading can calm you down.
The benefit of all of the items given in the list above is that all of these practices can be done on a daily basis. You don’t even have to spend much time doing any of these activities. Studies have shown that meditating as little as 5 minutes a day can dramatically reduce stress.
Achieving an everyday balance and reducing stress is so important. We are all busy people. Thinking about all you have to accomplish each day can seem impossible. No matter how you decide to relieve or reduce stress, make it a point to try at least 1 or 2 ways to relieve stress daily. It is so important to your health.
I am certain you can find some way that you can live with to decrease the amount of stress you have. Look at the list above and analyze where you are in your life. Which stress relief practice seem the most realistic at this point and time?
Try those particular methods and if you find that they are not helpful, move on and try something else. We are all very different people so what works for me may not work for you.
If you are a morning person, check out my book review on “The Miracle Morning” by Hal Elrod. If you are struggling with how to maintain a schedule, this may help you. It has helped me stay focused on the tasks for the day and stay organized with all that I need to get done for that day.
What helps you reduce the stress of everyday life?
Learn to budget like a ROCKSTAR!
Learn how to set up a budget that rocks, stay motivated, reduce your monthly expenses, and leverage your money like a boss! You will learn how to master and create the life you want. There is no need to be stressed about money! Sign up today!