Motivation is tough. Did you know that only 8% of people actually stick with their New Year’s Resolution? 8 percent. That’s it. It can be very hard to find motivation when you have so many other things going on around you. In this article, you will find practical tips to help keep you motivated toward reaching your goals.
It seems my main goal every year is to be more consistent with exercise and to become more organized. I am still working on the organization thing (it’s a process), but the exercise thing seems to wax and wane. I can name a million excuses for why I can’t exercise regularly, but I won’t bore you with those details.
All of us have goals at the beginning of the year. The most common New Year’s Resolutions have to do with health, money, enjoying life more, losing weight and spending more time with family and friends. We set some goals at the beginning of the year and we are still diligently working towards those goals.
Our financial goals have been to pay off some of our properties this year and we are still on track to do so. I guess since I suck at my exercise goals, at least our financial goals are still on track.
It got me thinking about what it takes to find motivation towards achieving goals that are set and how easy it is to get off track with the goals we set in the first place? I think it can be easy to get swayed from achieving things you really don’t want to do (ehem…. exercise for me). But how about the things you really are motivated to achieve? What keeps you motivated on a daily basis to achieve these goals? How do you find motivation to keep going?
Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.- Unkown
Here are 7 ways to help you find motivation to succeed in your goals
1. Use your time wisely. If you are a morning person, use your morning boost of energy to accomplish the hard things first. If you hate exercising (me) do it in the morning. If you need help organizing your day, write it down first thing in the morning. I have been doing this and I notice a huge difference in what I can accomplish daily. When you are tired at night, do something a little easier.
“To make profound changes in your life, you either need inspiration or desperation”-Anthony Robbins
2. Think of a small reward at the end of each week. Small rewards are all that’s needed sometimes to keep you motivated towards success.
3. Watch your posture. If you sit up and stand up tall, you are a person that gets stuff done. Your posture is linked to your body language so if you are a person that slouches, try sitting up straighter. It gives you the look and feel of determination.
“You’ve got to wake up every morning with determination if you are going to go to bed with satisfaction”-George Lorimer
4. Set a to do list every morning. I know I just said that above, but it deserves it’s own bullet. If you set a to do list, you are going to hate going to bed before everything is done. I know I do. Also, it gives you clear framework for how you will be spending your day. You have each activity planned out and a roadmap for success that day. You are on your way to successfully achieving your goal!
5. Hang out with the cool people with goals. If you want to succeed at something. Hang out with other people who are achieving goals and who have achieved what you want. They will continually inspire you to keep moving forward.
6. Just do it. Before you even have time to think about what you said you were going to do, just do it. Don’t give your mind time to think about it. It takes more energy for us to sit and think about how we should get up and do something than it actually does to get up and do the activity.
Motivation is what gets your started, habit is what keeps you going.
7 . What motivates you? Dig deep down inside and figure out what is a motivating factor that would keep you going. What means the most to you when you think about the goals you have in front of you? Why are you trying so hard to achieve your goals? Write that down. Keep it handy when you want to give up.
One of my favorite motivational quotes this year: “Your level of success will rarely exceed your level of personal development, because success is something you attract by the person you become”-Jim Rohn
I read a book called The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod and did a book review on it because I loved the book so much. In fact, it has significantly changed my life and I would rank it as one of the top 10 best motivational books ever. It is an amazing book that is literally changing thousands of peoples lives. It is a way to transform your mornings to get a ton of stuff done all before you even go to work. I still do the Miracle Morning so if you need an accountability partner for the 4AM hour, I may be your girl.
Why we let ourselves get distracted from our goals:
For me, I get discouraged if things aren’t going as fast as I would like them to. I get discouraged when I think about what I am giving up to achieve a certain goal. I have times when the sacrifices seem worth it and times when I feel like I am sacrificing for nothing. I think that the goal I am trying to achieve is a waste of time and energy. Have you every felt that way?
Fortunately, I have been able to get inside my head a little and really figure out what works for me to find motivation to continue towards my goals.
The things that help me:
- Writing in a journal even for a few minutes when I feel down quickly changes my mindset.
- Reading something inspirational. Even if I only have time to read a motivational quote or 2 it helps me.
- Praying. Just taking the time out for a quick prayer helps immensely.
To be honest, I usually have to do all 3 to get my head on straight again and get back to my goals.
When you look back at a time when you felt unmotivated to get something done, what is one thing you did to re-energize yourself? Did it help? Did you do more than one thing?
These little mind hacks are important to have if you want to stay motivated in being successful and achieving your goal.
“An extraordinary life is all about daily, continuous improvements in the areas that matter most.”-Robin Sharma
Here are some action steps to take right now so you can stay focused on whatever goal you are trying to achieve:
What is the intended goal?
Are you happy with your progress so far? If not, why?
Why have you failed at achieving your goal so far?
How can you stay motivated to achieve what you want to achieve?
What can you do to find the motivation to keep going?
How can you break your intended goal down so it seems more manageable?
What are some reasons why you are not sticking to your goal?
There are usually numerous reasons why we get swayed from achieving what we want to achieve. If you take the time to even write out a couple of those reasons, it is kind of like breaking it down a little further and you can figure out ways to solve those problems and place the focus back on your main goal.
ZenHabits wrote an article recently about 16 Ways to Get Motivated When You’re in a Slump and the ideas are awesome. The truth is, we all handle achieving goals differently so take the time to use trial and error to figure out which habits help you find the motivation you need to stick with your goals.
If you need to recharge your batteries, just take some time and put some thought into what you really enjoy doing and what has helped you get over a motivation slump in the past. I truly believe you can find the motivation you need to continue doing what you need to do to achieve the goal you want to achieve this year. It can be done.
What goal are you trying to achieve this year?
Learn to budget like a ROCKSTAR!
Learn how to set up a budget that rocks, stay motivated, reduce your monthly expenses, and leverage your money like a boss! You will learn how to master and create the life you want. There is no need to be stressed about money! Sign up today!