Sometimes unexpected expenses come up. They just do. Out of nowhere, there is a bill you have to pay that you weren’t expecting and now you are faced with an expense that may be stressing you out. I get it… we have been there too. It happens and there are ways to handling these unexpected expenses so have no fear!
First, I hope you have started some type of budget sheet to keep track of your monthly expenses. This will help you to know exactly where your money is going and get an idea if you have anything left over at the end of the month to pay that extra bill. If not, I am going to give you several ways to get the money to pay the bill and get you back on track with your budget or starting a budget. I know how hard it is when you feel discouraged about how much money is coming in and how much is going out. That was part of our story for a while. Thankfully, we have changed our ways and are now able to put a decent chunk of money towards our debt every month.
There are tons of ways to save money and I know some unusual ways to cut expenses, but when you feel broke and discouraged that is worse than trying to live within your means and follow a budget. Trust me on this. I have been there.
Here are some ways to make extra money to pay for unexpected expenses:
Make Extra Money to Pay the Unexpected Expense:
- Get a part time job: I thought I would put the obvious one in first. Or you can see if you can work an extra shift or two to pay for it. It works, right?
- Do some online surveys. There are a few sites I recommend. I like Harris Poll, Swagbucks, National Consumer Panel, RewardTV, Digital Voice, The surveys do not take much time at all and they will pay out pretty quickly. So if you need an extra $100, this may be the way to go. You can check out more through this article on how to make money online by taking online surveys.
- Consider babysitting for a friend. You could make some quick money for only a few hours.
- Make a craft to sell. Think of something quick and easy that you could sell. What are you good at? Do you think other people would buy it? For example, do you bake, crochet or knit, paint, or have some other type of craft that you are good at? Consider making something quick and easy to sell.
- Help someone move. Help with some heavy lifting to get paid
- Help someone paint their house. Are you good at painting? Ask your friends if they know anyone who needs help around the house with painting. If they do, that is something you could help with to make some extra money.
- Are you handy around the house. If you are, ask friends if they have parents or grandparents that need stuff done around the house.
- Make meals for someone else. If you are good in the kitchen, consider running a little service in your area or even just in your neighborhood to make a little extra money. My sister’s and I did this one summer and we were able to pay for our school clothes that year. We only sold to where my Dad was working. Ok so we were a lot younger and cuter then and it was probably hard to tell us no, but we made money anyways.
- Spring clean a house. I always think of little old ladies who just need help. Offer your services to them and they will be so grateful you offered to help.
- If you are good at writing, you could do some freelance writing. Elna over at Twins Mommy has a free 5 day course designed to help if you start a freelance writing career if you like to write.
- Check out UserTesting. It is a website in which you can get paid to review new sites and give your opinion. Apparently, I am terrible at it because they denied me, but they are still looking for testers so feel free to head over and sign up. You can earn as much as $10 for each website and $15 for mobile sites.
- Sell some stuff. You know I love to sell stuff. I threatened to sell anything that wasn’t nailed down at the beginning of our debt payoff process. What aren’t you using? What can you sell in a garage sale, or on the Facebook virtual garage sale site? You can also sell on Craigslist, Ebay or Amazon. You can also sell your phones and electronics for cash with Gazelle Trade-In.
- What can you rent. Do you have anything valuable that you can rent? Garden tools, equipment that others may not have, bicycles, sports equipment, your car. Yep, anything that others may need, you can rent for a short period of time.
- Donate plasma. They pay you to donate that stuffFind the money in the budget. Just look at your budget and see what you can cut down on in order to pay for the unexpected expense. Can you save on your cell phone bill? How about car insurance? Eating out? Can you save money on your grocery budget? Think about what you can reduce in order to get that extra bill paid for.
- Dog sit If you have a family friend going out of town, offer to dog sit for a fee. I know people who have done this and they make a little extra cash.
- House sit Watch someone’s house while they are on vacation.
- Ever hear of Uber You can become an Uber driver and make extra money
- Ask a friend or family member for a loan. They will likely give you a loan for very low or no interest. Just make sure to pay them back.
- Mow a couple lawns or weed a garden or flower bed. If you would have asked me for money to weed out my flower beds a couple years ago, I would have happily paid you. I was nine months pregnant with Logan and the weeds were ridiculous. Now I figured out some tricks on how to landscape on a budget so it isn’t so bad.
- Go grocery shopping for someone I dislike grocery shopping and if I had my way and made a ton of money there are 2 things I would get rid of from my schedule- grocery shopping and cleaning.
- Go on Craigslist and see if there are jobs for hire. There are ads just for a quick job that needs done and people usually pay by the job. It may give you some ideas on what you think you might be good at doing for someone else.
You can also find money by selling stuff around the house you aren’t using anymore. Here is a list of 100 items you can sell + a bonus of 75 services to provide for extra money. You can get your copy by clicking on this link.
Ways to find the money to pay the unexpected expense:
Negotiate a pay off amount. You can always call the bill collector and negotiate how to pay the bill. If you don’t have the money up front, call them and tell them you can only afford “X” amount and that you would like to make small payments. That is completely acceptable.
Cancel some routine bills for a month or until the bill is paid. You can cancel cable and ask a friend to use their Netflix account temporarily or watch videos on YouTube. You can also cancel upcoming appointments- hair or nail appointments, dinner outings, etc.
Take back some items you recently purchased. Probably not what you wanted to do, but it would get the job done. You could pay off the unexpected expense and plan on buying those items again when your budget allowed.
There are a lot of great ways to find money in your budget to pay for unexpected expenses and tons of ways to make extra money to pay for the unexpected expenses. Whichever you choose, you will be able to pay that bill off quick and move on. Things come up that we don’t plan for. It is ideal to have an emergency fund for when things like this happen, but when you are just starting your debt payoff schedule, you may not have an emergency fund established for unexpected expenses. That is ok. We didn’t either. We initially dealt with things as they came and then we were able to set up enough for an emergency fund.
Don’t get discouraged by these types of things. They will happen. Just pick up and move on like nothing was out of the ordinary. Don’t let things like unexpected expenses ruin your chance of achieving freedom from debt.
Don’t forget to sign up for the Webinars to learn more about how to reduce your expenses, make more money and leverage your income to create the future you want. You can sign up here for the next Webinar!
Learn to budget like a ROCKSTAR!
Learn how to set up a budget that rocks, stay motivated, reduce your monthly expenses, and leverage your money like a boss! You will learn how to master and create the life you want. There is no need to be stressed about money! Sign up today!