10 Things To Do Right Now If You Are Feeling Overwhelmed
Have you ever felt overwhelmed? Yeah, me too. There is always so much going on and sometimes when we are feeling overwhelmed, we have no idea how to take the next step forward. When there is so much going on in life, it can be paralyzing. You sometimes feel stuck in one spot and you’re not sure what to do next. I totally understand and I feel ya.
There are things to do to get yourself out of feeling this way. I am doing one of them right now. I love to write. It is so soothing for me. I feel that when I write, all of my thoughts are all laid out in front of me and it helps me think much more clearly. There are actually a number of things you can do to get yourself back on track when you are feeling overwhelmed.
10 Things You Can Do Right Now if You are Feeling Overwhelmed:
- Make a list. Call it a “super to do list.” It is the mother of all to do lists and it can help you clear your mind and prioritize what needs to get done first. Write everything down that you need to get done. Then put them in order by numbering them. Number 1 is the thing that needs to be done right away, 2 is the second most important and so on. This helps you move forward. Sometimes all you need is to just get organized and it helps push you forward.
- Call a friend. Talking to someone is always a good idea. We get so wrapped up in what we are doing and when you are feeling overwhelmed, it is easy to feel like you just can’t do one more thing. Talking to a friend can help significantly as they are not invested in all that is going on. They can help you organize what needs to be done because they can think a little more clearly.
- Take a walk and center yourself. Walking is a great way to settle yourself down. I personally suggest doing #1 first, then this one. It seriously helps so much to get everything out on paper. Then, taking a walk helps to de-stress a bit. Taking a 10 minute walk gives you enough time to really cool down and just breathe. Do not take your phone unless you plan on listening to very relaxing music. Otherwise, just walk and appreciate your surroundings.
- Read a couple inspiring quotes and repeat them in your head a few times. Inspiring quotes help us think differently. They give us a world of possibility and positivity. Positive thinking makes all things possible.
[bctt tweet=”Positive thinking makes all things possible” username=”BeckyFrametoFreedom”]
- Write in a journal. Writing helps a ton. I think it is the act of writing everything out that helps. Journal writing is more for writing down thoughts and emotions though. Do not write a to do list down in a journal. If you write down what you are feeling, it takes an emotional load off.
- Take a small nap. Taking a 20 minute nap may help you with perspective. Perhaps you are tired and need some rest. If we are not well rested, we can become more emotional and drained. We can’t think as well and everything seems to be difficult. Feeling overwhelmed when you are tired is no fun. Get some rest and then tackle the to do list.
- Figure out who can help you. Do you need help with something? Who can help out if there is too much going on? Call a family member, friend, co-worker, etc. Who can you go to if you need to delegate a task.
- Figure out what can wait. Not everything needs to be done today or at this very minute. Can you spread your tasks out for several weeks. Figure out what can wait or be put off a bit. If you have to reschedule something, it is ok. Don’t overbook yourself if you can help it. It just adds to the feeling of being overwhelmed.
- Meditate or pray. Ask God for help or just sit and be quiet for a few minutes. Meditation will help calm your brain so you can think more clearly.
- Figure out which task seems the most overwhelming and tackle it first. Get it out of the way. It will reduce your stress level so you can think better. Getting things out of the way that seem the absolute hardest, helps so much because we have the feeling of success. If you succeed at what seems difficult, the other stuff doesn’t seem as bad.
Go through these methods and see which one works the best for you. We are all unique individuals so what works for me may not work for you. I love to write out every single thing I have to do and then prioritize my list. It helps me focus on my top things and then figure out how and when I am going to get the other things done. It seems more manageable when I have everything all written out. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the mailing list for more tips on motivation, budgeting and more!
Learn to budget like a ROCKSTAR!
Learn how to set up a budget that rocks, stay motivated, reduce your monthly expenses, and leverage your money like a boss! You will learn how to master and create the life you want. There is no need to be stressed about money! Sign up today!